Mobile app development is an in demand job and great way to opportunity to learn. With more and more people opting for it, there is a dire need to choose the most in-demand mobile technology. Looking at the popularity and demand for Apple’s iPhone, iPad and iPod, it is safe to say that a career in iOS App Development is a good bet. Experienced as well as entry-level professionals are entering the world of iOS App Development as there are immense job opportunities that provide good pay package and even better career growth
iOS Developers are responsible for building intuitive and eye-catching apps for mobile devices powered by Apple’s iOS operating system. In many ways, iOS Developers significantly contribute to a brand, as badly designed apps can result in negative opinion of the company. iOS Developers are expected to work in a diverse team comprising of managers, designers and other iOS Developers. Some of other job responsibilities of an iOS Developer are:
- Design and build advanced native iOS apps on iOS platform
- Work with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Unit-test code for sturdiness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement innovative technologies to maximize development efficiency.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Build sophisticated multi-threaded apps.
Tips for aspiring iOS professionals:
For those with little or no experience in programming, starting a career in iOS development can be arduous. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Learn iOS app development – There are numerous online resources and online courses that can assist you in your learning.
- Start making iOS apps right away – The best way to practice what you learnt is by developing applications. Start developing simple apps and make them available for free or at a low cost to the public so that you can get reviews and feedback. This will help you develop better ones in the future or further improve the existing ones.
- Utilize any opportunity to create iOS apps – You can improve your reputation by developing apps for small organizations at a low cost or for free. This will get you noticed for your skills.
Essential skills for an iOS Developer
According to Joe Conway, Founder of Stable / Kernel and author of ‘iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide’, a few of the must-have skills that will help you excel in your iOS development career are:
- Ability to develop native, structurally sound software for iOS and Mac OS X platforms.
- Keeping up with current UX/UI trends and remaining up to date on new functionality exposed through Apple’s SDKs.
- Ability to utilize project management software, version control systems and develop automated testing and deployment strategies.
In order to start a career in iOS development, you will also require the following.
- An Apple computer – A advanced one would be better as you require good speed and memory when you’re developing and testing your apps.
- iPhone /iPad /iPod – If possible buy one of each as you will need to test your app on different iOS platforms.
- Become a member of the iOS Developer Program – You need to become a member to access all the developer tools made by Apple.
What you need to learn:
- Objective C – iOS apps are created in this language, so having a strong foundation in it is absolutely essential.
- iOS – Within iOS there are a host of frameworks and tools like adding text and images, building views, and handling user interactions, that a developer must know.
- Swift – Swift is Apple’s programming language for iOS Apps. Learning the fundamentals of programming is the foundation for building apps.
- XCode – XCode is the development studio for creating Apple-based programs and apps. It’s free to download and can be very helpful if you become proficient in it.
- Interface Builder – It is a great tool by Apple that lets you create smart and eye-catching user interfaces via drag and drop.
- Version Control – Learning to use a versioning system for code is an essential skill for any developer.
- Frameworks – Being familiar with important frameworks makes the life of an iOS Developer easier as it allows you to reuse code written by other developers in your apps.